JAMIE DE BRUYN
Jamie is passionate about helping people restore their sense of self-worth and confidence in order to regain control over their lives. She works with a wide variety of adults and adolescents in crisis, and people experiencing ongoing mental health issues (such as depression, anxiety, and PTSD) as a result of adversity, trauma, and violence. Jamie helps to empower individuals who have experienced adversity and oppression, through exploring existing competencies, strengths and inherent resilience.
Jamie is person-centred, flexible and practical in her approach, ensuring you feel supported, and your individual needs are addressed. Jamie maintains an open, non-judgmental environment, where she uses a broad range of therapies, including Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT), strengths-based, person-centred, mindfulness, as well as creative art and narrative approaches.
Jamie’s quick tip for dealing with flashbacks
“Flashbacks often occur when we are triggered by some kind of reminder of a traumatic event. This can be anything from a place, a smell, words spoken, or a person. During a flashback you may re-experience old thoughts, feelings, or sensations as though the traumatic experience is happening to you again. You may maintain some awareness and connection to the present or you may lose all awareness of what is happening around you. In order to help ground you in the present, and remind your body where you are and that you are now safe, use a flashback protocol.
• Right now I’m feeling _____________________________________________ , (insert name of the current emotion, usually fear)
• and I am sensing in my body _______________________________________ , (describe your current bodily sensations – name at least three)
• because I am remembering ________________________________________ . (name the trauma by title only – no details)
• At the same time, I am looking around where I am now in _______________ , (the actual current year)
• here __________________________________________________________ , (name the place where you are)
• and I can see ___________________________________________________ , (describe five things that you see right now, in this place),
• and so I know _____________________________________________________ , (name the trauma, by title only, again)
• is NOT happening now /anymore. ”
Outside the therapy room
“I have two Boston Terriers, Austin and Flynn, who I love spending time with at the dog park after we grab my morning coffee. I love spending time by the water, going to the gym, and doing coastal walks like the Coogee to Bondi Walk. When I’m not playing with the boys or laying on the beach, I enjoy catching up with friends and family over a meal, and I love trying new foods.”
My therapy song…
The song that makes me feel alive, present and ready to face the world.
THIS IS HOW WE DO IT – Montell Jordan
Book your Session with Jamie
Standard Fee: $220
($88.25 Medicare Rebate available*)
Out-of-Pocket Fee: $131.75
Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri, Sat
* The Medicare rebate is available to clients under the Better Access to Mental Health Care initiative.