Grief & Loss
Sarah’s tip for becoming more self-compassionate
“We’re often our own harshest critic even though the reality is, we all make mistakes, have personal failings and go through difficult times. It’s often easier for us to be kinder to others than to ourselves but here are some tips on how to turn compassion inwards:
- Give yourself permission to recognise that life is difficult for all of us.
- Take slow, deep breaths and allow yourself a few minutes to tune into your thoughts, emotions and bodily sensations. Do this with an attitude of openness and curiosity.
- Consider how you speak to yourself. What do you say and how do you say it? If your critic is kicking in, try acknowledging your pain and offering a comforting kind word. For example, you could say something like “This really hurts, I’m here for you right now”.
- Try offering a kind gesture. Think about how you might use your touch to comfort an injured child or puppy. Take your own hand and place it on your body in a gentle soothing manner. For example, if you feel pain in your belly or throat you could try placing your hand in that area or simply place your hand lovingly on your heart.
- Think about what you would say to a loved one in the same situation. Write it down in the form of a letter and read it to yourself.
- Consider if there is a kind action you can take. For example, can you speak to a friend or family member who cares? Or take some time out to engage in a relaxing or soothing activity.”
Outside the therapy room
“I am usually at the park with my kids, climbing up trees or digging in the dirt. My happy places include treks through mountains and jungles and chilling out on the beach.”
What I’m into right now…
A Liberated Mind – Steven Hayes
“A current read that I keep going back to is A Liberated Mind: How To Pivot Towards What Matters by Steven Hayes. Favourite thing to listen to is definitely rain falling at any time of day or night, but most beautifully when I am drifting off to sleep.”
My therapy song…
The song that makes me feel alive, present and ready to face the world.
ONE LOVE – Bob Marley
Book your session with Sarah
$170.20 with Medicare Rebate
$255 without Medicare Rebate
Next available appointment for new clients: 3 months